Sara International Travel has published two versions of our Umrah guide. Here you will find a video guide on the performance of the Umrah taught by Imam Zameer Sattaur. A text version is also included below the video.
The Stages of Umrah
There are four stages for the Umrah:
- 1. Ihram: put on at the Meeqat
- 2. Tawaaf: around the Kabah.
- 3. Saee: walking between As-Safaa and Al-Marwah seven times
- 4. Tahallul: coming out of the state of Ihram
How to perform Umrah
Prior to leaving your home for the Meeqat take a shower. You are allowed to put on perfume and comb your hair.
- Men will change into the Ihram (2 white pieces of cloth); Women may wear any permisible clothing
- At the Meeqat make intention to perform Umrah; Recite the Talbiyyah
- Upon arrival at the Kabah – proceed to the Black stone (or stay in line with it) – raise your right hand and say “Bismil-laahi wa Allaahu Akbar”
- For the first three circuits men will reveal their right arm.
- During tawaf make supplication from your heart, for that which will benefit you. Recite whatever you wish, supplicate to Allah by asking for good, recite the Quran, anything you wish.
- Upon Completion of the Tawaf (7 circuits) proceed to the Maqaam Ibrahim and recite this verse (which means): “And take you (people) the Maqaam (place) of Ibraheem as a place of Prayer… ” Quran; 2:125
- At the Maqaam Ibrahim – behind it – you will pray 2 rakahs. It is preferred to recite during the first rakah surah Al-Kafiroon (109) and during the second one surah Al-lkhlaas (112).
- If possible Drink Zam Zam Water – the foutains are directly behind you – then proceed to the Saee Area (Safaa)
- At Safaa recite “Verily, As-Safaa and Al-Marwah are from the symbols of Allaah. So it is not a sin on him who performs Hajj or ‘Umrah of the house (ka ‘bah) to perform the going (tawaaf) between them. And whoever does good voluntarily, then verily, Allaah is the All-Recognizer, All-Knower.” Quran; 2:158
- Then proceed to Marwah – do this for 7 times ending at Marwah – between the green light move faster – There are no particular supplications to be recited between Safaa and Marwah.
- Then one is to have his hair cut although shaving it is better. Women should shorten their hair by a fingertips length from the end.
- The Umrah is now completed.