Difference between Hajj and Umrah
Hajj and Umrah are two types of pilgrimages that are undertaken as a token of faith by Muslims. Though both of them are sacred events for Muslims, there are a lot of differences between them. Basically, Umrah is considered a lesser or minor pilgrimage to Hajj, which is the major and obligatory pilgrimage for Muslims.
Hajj Vs. Umrah
Both pilgrimages require the Muslims to perform all the rituals at the same sacred place, Mecca; their natures differ a lot. While Hajj is the obligatory pilgrimage that every Muslim who is physically and financially capable are supposed to perform, on the other hand, the Umrah stands to be a non-mandatory pilgrimage.
Also, the Hajj requires more eligibility criteria and qualifications for a Muslim than Umrah. The importance of the two pilgrimages also varies a lot. The Hajj carries more importance and rewards in comparison to Umrah.
The Hajj is performed at a specific time of the year. There are a few designated Islamic months or periods when a Muslim can conduct Hajj, like Shawwal, Dhul-Hijjah, and Dhul-Qadah.
In contrast, Umrah is a pilgrimage that a Muslim can conduct at any time of the year. Umrah is a pilgrimage of two types: Al-Umrat al Mutradah, Umrah without Hajj, and Umrah –al tammatu, which is Umrah with Hajj.
The first type of Umrah can be performed anytime in the year except for the Hajj months and individually; on the other hand, the second type of Umrah can be performed in the Hajj months and with other pilgrims. Hajj is among the pillars of Islam and is considered a duty that needs to be fulfilled by physically and financially capable believers.
Performing Hajj is very important if you seek a place in Jannah and get closer to Allah whilst in Duniya. According to tradition, performing Hajj at least once in a lifetime is mandatory. The Hajj again has three forms. Firstly the ifrad or Hajj itself, secondly the tamattu, which is the complete but separate undertaking of both Hajj and Umrah; and lastly, the qiran, which is
the alternate performance of Hajj and Umrah.
Another distinction these sacred events have is the duration and steps of rituals. Both pilgrimages require the purification ritual called Ihram; later, a tawaf is performed, where the pilgrims encircle the Ka’aba, enchanting the prayers and end it with drinking the water from the well of Zamzam. With the completion of this step, many more steps are included in Hajj, including going to Mount Arafat and Muzdalifah, performing the stoning of the devil, and animal sacrifice. Later tawaf called Tawaf Az- Ziyara and Tawaf al – Wida are performed, and the last tawaf is considered the closing ritual of Hajj. Meanwhile, the rituals of Umrah end with the cutting of pilgrims’ hair.
Despite all the differences, the Umrah and Hajj are marks of strong Muslim faith, fidelity, and piety. Both sacred events promote a unified Muslim community bowing to the one and only Lord, Allah S.W.T while retracing the steps of the Muslim faith.
Briefing it all!
- Both the sacred events, Hajj and Umrah, are Muslim pilgrimages. Their main difference lies in importance, performance, observance, and practice.
- Umrah is also considered a minor pilgrimage and non-mandated or non-compulsory. While the Hajj is a major pilgrimage and has a significant meaning. It is the fifth pillar of Islam and an obligatory practice among Muslims. A believer should perform Hajj once in a lifetime if he/she is physically or financially capable.
- Umrah is of two types the Umrah al Mutrdah (without Hajj) and Umrah al tammatu (with Hajj), while the Hajj has three forms the ifrad (only Hajj), tamattu (separate Hajj and Umrah) and qiran (sequential performing of Hajj and Umrah).
- Umrah can be performed anytime in the year and is a highly individualized ritual, whereas the Hajj needs to be performed in the Hajj months with the other pilgrimages.
- Both the sacred events have the same initialization, till the two rituals later on Hajj adds up with more rituals, and the Umrah adds two more steps t complete the pilgrimage.
Whether you are up for Hajj or Umrah, both sacred events will reward you with forgiveness and mercy from Allah. But all you need is peaceful travelling and comfortable arrangements in this sacred land.
Fortunately, we at Sara International Travel will provide you with the comfort and convenience you seek in your important journey of life.
Sara International is the best Hajj and Umrah Travel Agency, where you find the best and most affordable hajj packages and umrah packages across the USA. We at Sara International Travel lend you all the expert support in picking the right packages at the best deals. After all, your bliss and comfort are our goals and vision to be achieved. Reach us today to get assisted by our professional team with expertise and experience in Hajj and Umrah services and book yourself a package at the best deal.