What Should An Intending Pilgrim Pack?
Brief List of Recommended Travel Items for Hajj
- Wet wipes
- Neosporin and bandaids
- Dramamine or any motion sickness medication
- Black permanent marker for labeling luggage
- Surgical masks
- Sandals or slippers
- Vitamin tablets
- Prescription drugs if needed
- Bath towels face towels
- Feminine toiletries (Unscented)
- Lip balm or vaseline
- Pain killers (eg. Tylenol, Advil, Exedrine (for migraine headaches))
While this list covers most of what will be needed during the course of the journey, it is in no way an absolute list one should consider. Do consider the advice of your fellow friends and families who have also made the journey for further advice.
Note: American Express is not accepted everywhere. Credit cards are typically accepted for most transactions and items purchased. ATMs are readily available in the city of Makkah and Madinah (in most large malls), however one may not find an ATM during the actual days of Hajj (in Mina, Muzdalifa and Arafat).
Advice on Your Suitcase
Traveling to Saudi Arabia is not necessarily the easiest of travels, nor is it any easier upon your luggage. For this reason we highly recommend that you travel with a sturdy luggage that you are confident will not break down on you during a critical junction of the journey. Something to also take into consideration is the size of the luggage. Due to the shifting and moving nature of the Hajj, we recommended a reasonable size. Think about the fact that you will be getting on and off various busses, planes and perhaps other modes of transportation.
Prior to leaving, take a picture of your luggage. This small effort on your behalf will become handy should the airline lose your luggage (which happens more frequent than desired). Try to find a unique method of identifying your luggage – this is very useful when there are so many similar styles and colors. Please note it is crucial that your suitcase and all hand luggage is labeled.
A Few More Important Suggestions
- Money/ATM cards (Master and Visa are the standard, call your bank prior)
- Money belt – to keep money, passport and other valuables
- Water bottle (constantly fill it with Zam Zam during the trip)
- Umbrella (white color umbrella reflects sun best)
- Electric shaver/trimmer
- Nail clippers (for cutting hair, nails)
- Quran & books of dhikr and salawat
Please remember to pack all scissors and knives in main luggage, otherwise they will be confiscated by TSA agents are cause further delay upon you. Be mindful that your liquids are under the allowed limit.